7 Organic mattress topper made in USA bed bath beyond
Organic mattresses and mattress toppers changed the way people feel about sleeping. Nowadays, it’s much safer and reassuring to sleep knowing you’re sleeping on organic materials free of any industrial processes, off-gassing, and other toxic processes.
With that in mind, for people who are environmentally conscious and want to make their night rest as healthy as possible, we prepared a compelling review of the best organic mattress topper as well as nine other options you may be interested in.
Finally, we crafted a buying guide that will educate you about the properties of organic toppers and why you should use them.
There are different types of mattress toppers and each of them works differently on your mattress.
Natural Latex – This is one of the most common types of mattress topper in the market (another is memory foam). For various reasons, it’s used because of its thermo-neutral features, which are extremely valuable if you support a vegan lifestyle and are looking for an all-natural build.
7 Organic mattress topper made in USA bed bath beyond 2021
Wool – Wool is another component found in the organic mattress toppers. Sometimes it works as a standalone mattress topper while most commonly, it can be found in the latex toppers due to the best temperature regulation properties. It works great both for the summer and winter, given it can keep you both cool and toasty.
Cotton – Cotton is the third common mattress topper. It can often be found as part of natural latex topper because the standalone version can be too difficult to grow or expensive, which may turn a lot of consumers away. Nevertheless, cotton feels smooth, comfortable, and has thermo-regulating properties that keep your rest peaceful.
How About Semi-organic mattress toppers
Memory foam grew in popularity extremely over the past few years and decades. However, given it’s made out of synthetic materials, many people worry about potential fire retardants or other toxic material that it ships with and causes off-gassing.
However, BioFoam material emerged recently and is often found as part of the organic mattress. BioFoam is bio-degradable and made out of plants, meaning it’s more eco-friendly and organic in that sense.
Benefits of Using Organic Mattress Topper
- You don’t have to worry about VOCs and another chemical, harmful emissions that could potentially harm your health.
- Eco-friendly design is healthier and more beneficial to the planet.
- There is more natural temperature regulation and breathability compared to the synthetic memory foam.
- Better motion isolation and less noise.
Best Overall: Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper Organic mattress topper
After careful research and testing, we found that Avocado Mattress Topper is the best organic mattress topper we could find and experience. It is made out of eco-conscious materials that add comfort to your sleep and help you rest peacefully and long.
There are two types of mattress toppers, the plush and firmer one. We decided for the plush one because the sole idea of toppers is to soften the existing mattress, although you can use the firmer model to add more support to a sinking mattress.
Additionally, the topper is available in all bed sizes so whether you’re grabbing a mattress topper for your kid or you want to rejuvenate the old mattress in your bed, all dimensions are available. The thickness of the mattress is 2-inches, but it uses a 100% GOLS organic certified mattress. The firmer option uses the D75 medium-firm natural latex while the plush topper will let you sink in and conform to your body curves thanks to the D65 soft natural latex. The softer model provides the luxury-plush sensation, that will make you think you’re sleeping on a cloud.
Best Organic Mattress Toppers
Here’s a rundown of our selection for the best organic, natural, non-toxic mattress toppers:
- Avocado Green Topper (Our #1 top pick)
- Naturepedic Adagio 2” Topper
- Happy Mattress Topper
- Plushbeds Natural Latex Topper
- The Plush Pillow Top by Birch
- White Lotus Home Cotton Topper
Avocado Green Organic Mattress Topper (Our #1 Staff Pick)
Up first in our search for the best organic mattress topper is the Avocado Green topper. The Avocado Green topper is an ultra-luxurious option that combines 2 inches of GOLS organic certified latex, Joma New Zealand wool, and certified all-organic cotton.
The latex featured in the Avocado Green topper is made completely from sustainable sources, lending it eco-friendly and 100% free from any toxic or synthetic materials. It’s designed to provide renowned joint cradling, pressure relief, and all-over comfort.
The Joma wool layer is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 Certified and works to wick away sweat and moisture quickly, efficiently, and naturally. It also serves as an all-natural fire barrier that eliminates the need for harsh chemical flame retardants. It works in conjunction with the latex to provide all-natural temperature control and is naturally antimicrobial and dust mite resistant.
Avocado Green then wraps their toppers in a certified organic cotton cover. Avocado Green brags that this material is the softest, most breathable, and most comfortable available on the market. It works with the latex and wool to wick away heat and sweat to keep you cool and comfortable. Their cotton also meets the most stringent GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certification.
- Free shipping and free returns
- Organic cotton cover is removable
- 100% organic, natural and non-toxic materials
- GOTS certified cotton and GOLS certified latex
- Available in either plush or firm to help meet your individual needs
- Financing available through Affirm
- Made in the USA
- 100-night sleep trial
- 10-year limited warranty
Cons – Organic mattress topper
- The cotton cover is removable, but it isn’t washable (that said, most toppers don’t even have a removable cover!)
- Some customers complain that the topper doesn’t secure well to their mattress
- Some consumers have had difficulties with delivery – taking upwards of 4 weeks to actually receive their product
- Twin -$349
- Twin XL – $349
- Full – $349
- Queen – $449
- King – $649
- California King – $649
We think the Avocado Green topper is a great option in our search for the best organic mattress topper. Every material used in the product is completely natural and all-organic, guaranteeing that you’re getting the healthiest and most comfortable sleep possible. The price is pretty fair and the company even offers a pretty great warranty.
Adagio 2″ Organic Latex Topper by Naturepedic
The Naturepedic Adagio made our list of the best organic mattress toppers because this product has nothing but pure luxury in mind. This topper is designed to add an extra layer of plush comfort to your existing mattress with all organic materials.
The Naturepedic topper is filled with 2 inches of all-natural, organic latex (GOLS certified) that perfectly cradles around your body and provides top-notch comfort. The layer of latex is then wrapped in super-soft to the touch organic cotton. The combination of both organic materials allows for a safe, healthy, and ultra-comfortable addition to your bed.
- 2″ organic latex for pressure point relief and full body contouring comfort
- GOTS certified organic cotton cover
- The Naturepedic company offers financing on its products through Affirm
- Your Naturepedic purchase comes with a 90-day sleep trial
- The Adagio is designed to provide sleepers with a “nesting” feel
Cons – Organic mattress topper
- The Naturepedic Adagio topper is the second most expensive option on our list
- The cover is not removable or washable
- It is not advised that you use the Arpeggio mattress topper as a stand-alone sleeping surface
- Twin -$499
- Twin XL – $549
- Full – $649
- Queen – $749
- King – $849
- California King – $849
If you’re willing to splurge on the best organic mattress topper, then the Naturepedic Adagio may be a great option for you. It offers plush comfort and a nesting-like feel.
Happsy Organic Mattress Topper
If you’re looking for a 2-inch thick organic latex mattress topper with an organic cotton cover, Happy has your back.
Happsy uses organic materials without any harmful chemicals or off-gassing. The end result is a mattress topper that adds comfort, pressure point relief, and a luxury feel to any mattress.
- The Happsy topper is certified organic
- This topper is more affordable than some of the competing options
- Happsy offers financing through Affirm
- Each Happsy mattress topper is made in the USA
- Your purchase is protected by a 20-year limited warranty through the company
Cons – Organic mattress topper
- The organic cotton cover is not removable or washable
- Twin -$249
- Twin XL – $279
- Full – $349
- Queen – $399
- King – $499
- California King – $499
Happsy offers a high-quality, no-thrills, non-toxic organic latex mattress topper at an affordable price.
Plushbeds Natural Latex Organic Topper
Up next in our search for the best organic mattress topper is the Plushbeds topper. Plushbeds has designed this topper to provide their customers with all the benefits and luxuries of all-natural latex, without the ginormous cost that usually comes with purchasing a brand-new latex mattress.
Plushbeds constructs their mattress topper with 100% all-natural Talalay latex—meaning it’s completely pure with absolutely no synthetic or toxic additives. Their high-quality latex is designed with a unique airflow design that increases the overall breathability of the topper to help keep you cool and also works to distribute body weight evenly. This ensures that the topper relieves common pressure points and provides gentle support around your shoulder, hips, back, and knees.
The Plushbeds topper is a fantastic option for asthma and allergy sufferers, as the latex material is naturally antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, and dust mite and mildew resistant. Plushbeds also allows you to adjust the height and firmness of the topper as well as add an additional organic cotton cover that’s removable and hand-washable.
- Each Plushbeds latex topper is proudly crafted in the USA
- Because Plushbeds only uses pure, 100% natural latex, there is no off-gassing odor in their mattress topper
- Plushbeds compression rolls their topper rather than the common vacuum sealing process, which allows their topper to decompress quickly
- The avoidance of any synthetic materials increases the durability of the topper and ensures that it won’t sag, discolor, or break down and will always quickly rebound to its original shape
- Each upgrade, such as a thicker topper, a firmness adjustment, or the addition of the organic cotton cover raises the price of the Plushbeds topper significantly
- The Plushbeds topper is non-refundable
- The cotton cover is removable, but it’s not recommended that you machine wash it
- The extra cotton cover only covers the topper and does not help to hold the product in place on your mattress
Price – Organic mattress topper
- Twin -$219
- Twin XL – $249
- Full – $309
- Queen – $339
- King – $379
- California King – $389
If you’re searching for the best organic mattress topper that will add additional comfort and thickness to your original mattress, then the Plushbeds topper is a fantastic option. It increases comfort and support with 100% all-natural latex. But, it is worth noting that the addition of any benefits or amenities stacks the price up rather quickly.
Birch Plush Pillow Top Organic mattress topper
The Plush Pillow Top by Birch is another organic mattress topper designed by Birch who also makes an organic mattress.
This organic topper is another solid option, with 3 inches of OEKO-TEX certified Talalay natural latex, natural New Zealand birch wool, and organic cotton.
As the name implies, this is more plush topper than some of the other options on the market. The extra inch of latex enables deep body contouring, while the wool increases breathability to improve airflow.
- 3-inches of OEKO-TEX certified Talalay natural latex
- Greenbuard Gold Certified
- Non-toxic and chemical-free
- Free shipping
- 100-night sleep trial
- 10-year warranty
- Handmade in the USA
- Like many other toppers, this topper doesn’t have a removable cover
- Topper doesn’t appear to be GOTS-certified organic
- Twin -$250
- Full – $275
- Queen – $400
- King – $500
- California King – $500
The Plush Pillow Top by Birch is another excellent non-toxic, all-natural mattress that is likely to improve your sleeping experience.
White Lotus Home 100% Organic Cotton Topper Organic mattress topper
All of the above organic toppers use natural latex and most of them use wool.
But are you looking for a purely organic cotton topper? White Lotus Home’s topper has you covered.
This White Lotus Home topper is the only topper on the market (that we could find) that used 100% GOTS certified organic cotton batting with a GOTS certified organic cotton cover. Nothing else!
This topper comes in 2-inch and 4-inch thickness options. It offers a completely non-toxic, chemical-free topper to improve your sleeping experience.
- Free shipping
- 100% GOTS certified organic cotton batting and cover
- All-natural, non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and chemical-free (no flame retardants)
- Two thickness options (2 and 4 inches)
- Eco-friendly (90% less water used in the growing of this cotton)
- More expensive than other options (due to the sheer volume of organic cotton used)
- The 2-inch version is on the firm side, while the 4-inch version is plusher and has more of that body-cradling feeling
Prices for 2-Inch and 4-Inch Organic Cotton Toppers
- Toddler – $266 / $428
- Twin -$357 / $576
- Twin XL – $386 / $620
- Double – $477 / $767
- Queen – $500 / $804
- King – $551 / $857
- California King – $551 / $857
The Bottom Line
White Lotus Home has been handmaking mattresses and toppers since 1981. If you’re in the market for a purely cotton topper that’s made of the finest GOTS-certified organic cotton material, this is your topper.
Avocado Organic Mattress Pad Protector
Avocado makes our list twice, and for good reason. Out of over 30 “natural” mattress brands, Avocado stands out. They are our staff’s top pick in numerous categories, including the best organic mattress.
Here, we have the Avocado Mattress Pad. It’s made of 100% GOTS organic certified cotton, elegantly quilted in a natural ivory color. While this organic mattress pad will provide minimal cushion and comfort, it’s mainly designed to absorb moisture and protect your mattress from spills, stains, skin oils, and so on.
- Free shipping & returns
- GOTS certified organic cotton
- Non-toxic, chemical-free and hypoallergenic mattress pad
- Vegan certified and eco-friendly
- Double-stitched and reinforced design
- Highly breathable
- No plastic smell
- Can be cleaned in a washer and dryer
- Handmade in the United States
- 1-year warranty
- 100-night trial
- It’s absorbent, but it’s not waterproof (because there’s no plastic in it)
- Twin -$199
- Twin XL – $199
- Full – $229
- Queen – $249
- King – $299
- California King – $299
The Bottom Line
If you’re just looking for an organic mattress pad to provide an additional layer of protector and mild comfort to your existing mattress, check out the Avocado Mattress Pad.
OrganicTextiles Organic Cotton Mattress Pad
Finally, we come to the OrganicTextiles pad. The OrganicTextiles company specializes in non-toxic, all-organic and all-natural bedding products. They believe that the organic approach offers consumers a healthier and better-quality life.
Like the Avocado pad, The OrganicTextiles mattress pad is constructed of 100% GOTS certified organic cotton—meaning the topper is not only luxuriously comfortable but completely free of any toxic chemical synthetic additives. This topper features 100% organic cotton fabric in the top layer, 100% organic cotton fiber filling, and a 100% organic cotton backing. Literally, all you’re getting it high-quality cotton.
This particular topper is designed to provide a touch of extra softness without a bunch of unnecessary thickness. The “polyester feel” of the pad allows you to stay completely cool and dry, absorbing sweat, moisture, and spills quickly and efficiently. The entire pad is also completely washable.
The OrganicTextiles organic cotton mattress pad is designed to be durable, features a 17-inch deep fitted drop to fit high profile mattresses, and promises to increase the overall lifespan of your original mattress below.
- The entire pad is safe to be machine washed and dried
- The Organic Textiles mattress pad is made with 25-50% higher filling than most other mattress pads on the market making it more comfortable and durable
- The pad is designed to quickly absorb sweat and spills, keeping you dry and protecting your original mattress
- The pad features up to 17 inches of elastic banding allowing it to fit taller mattresses
- The Organic Textiles pad is designed to keep you comfortable and cool
- Some consumers complain that the pads don’t fit their mattress well even after washing and drying
- The side webbing of the topper is thin and weak, leaving it susceptible to easily tearing
- A handful of reviewers wish that the pad was a bit thicker/plusher
- This topper is not designed to provide any additional support or firmness
- Twin -$189.95
- Twin XL – $199.95
- Full – $279.95
- Queen – $319.99
- King – $329.95
- California King – $329.99
If you’re searching for an organic mattress pad that won’t fluff up your existing mattress with unnecessary thickness, but will add an extra touch of softness while keeping your mattress protected and keeping you cool, then the OrganicTextiles pad is a great option for you.
What are the Most Important Certifications for Organic Toppers and Pads?
You’ll find a vast array of certifications that organic mattress manufacturers promote on their websites including:
- GOTS (for organic textiles)
- GOLS (for organic latex)
- Fair-Trade Organic
- Made Safe
- Greenguard Gold
- OEKO-TEX 100 Standard
- USDA Organic (for cotton, wool, and latex)
- Control Union
- Forest Stewardship Council
- CertiPUR0US (for foam)
Of all of the above certifications, for our Sleeping Ninjas team, we focus on GOTS and GOLS certification. These offer the most rigorous standards and are the most difficult for mattress manufacturers to obtain (with the exception of USDA Organic).
What’s the Best Organic and Non-Toxic Mattress Topper For You? Organic mattress topper
Ultimately, any new mattress or mattress topper purchase comes down to personal preference. Only you can determine if a certain topper is soft enough, firm enough, plush enough, etc.
But, when it comes to picking the best organic mattress topper, there are a few things to keep in mind that’ll help make the shopping process a little easier:
- When you choose to go organic, keep in mind that the price is a bit more expensive than other options – organic and all-natural materials are more expensive, raising the overall cost of the product
- Make sure you research all the options you’re considering to ensure that they truly are all-organic – sometimes labels and marketing tactics can be misleading
- Be sure you have a good idea on your firmness preference – a topper that’s too soft or too firm can make for a very uncomfortable night’s sleep
- It’s always a plus if the topper, or at least components of the topper, can be washed – it helps keep the topper and the original mattress more sanitary and protected
We’ve done our best to include all the important details of the toppers and pads we’ve covered in this review to help you pick the best organic mattress topper for you and your family.
A Complete 2020 Buyer’s Guide to the Best Organic Mattress Toppers and Pads 2021
What is the healthiest mattress topper?
A Definitive Review of the Most Eco-friendly, Best Organic Mattress Toppers
- Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
- Happy Organic Mattress Topper.
- Adagio Organic Latex Topper by Naturepedic.
- Plushbeds Natural Latex Organic Topper.
- White Lotus Home 100% Cotton Organic Mattress Topper.
Are mattress toppers safe?
Besides choosing mattresses with non-toxic certifications, we recommend choosing clean bedding, toppers, and protectors. … Avoid any toppers or bedding made with chemical antimicrobial treatments— instead, opt for 100% natural materials, such as organic cotton, wool, or bamboo.
What is the best natural mattress?
The Best Organic Mattresses
- Best Overall – Birch Mattress.
- Most Comfortable – EcoCloud.
- Best Cooling – PlushBeds Botanical Bliss.
- Best for Side Sleepers – Awara.
- Most Support – Eco Terra.
- Best for Stomach Sleepers – Avocado.
- for Back Sleepers – My Green Mattress Natural Escape.
- Best Value – Luma Mattress.
What mattress toppers are made in the USA?
SURE TEMP MEMORY FOAM: Our specially designed memory foam provides personalized comfort that cradles your body. Improved breathability increases airflow and provides comfort night after night. MADE IN THE USA: This Sleep Innovations mattress topper is proudly made in the USA and comes with a 5-year limit.
Are mattress toppers worth the money?
More often than not, mattress toppers are worth it – improved comfort and a better-protected mattress will provide restful sleep for years to come. … Mattress toppers are also a great way to improve a fold-out sofa bed – while these are fantastic space-saving items, the bars in their frames can be really uncomfortable.