9 Best Natural lip balm for daily Use Moisturizers 2022
The ultimate guide to all-natural and organic lip balm, featuring 16 lip balms that are free from toxic additives and loaded with all-natural and organic ingredients. My top picks will heal, soothe, and soften your dry, chapped lips.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
There’s nothing more essential than a tube of lip balm for hydrating and soothing dry, chapped lips. Especially here in Colorado, I’m constantly trying to balance out the less-than-ideal side effects from dry air and high altitude. So I’ve got lip balm stashed in my purse, in the car, bedside and in the bathroom cabinet at all times.
Whether you’re suffering from chapped, peeling lips or you just want to keep your lips well-hydrated, make sure you’re swiping on an all-natural or organic lip balm.
Lip Balm is the first CLEAN SWAP I recommend when switching to non-toxic skincare. Whatever you put on your lips will pass into your mouth and beyond through licking, drinking and eating. It’s basically like eating your lip balm.
- 6 DELICIOUS FLAVORS OF USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC LIP...
- 100% PURE USDA ORGANIC LIP BALM: Organic Sunflower...
- THE USDA ORGANIC SEAL guarantees that the...
- NON-GMO, GLUTEN FREE, Eco Friendly B-Corporation...
- EARTH FRIENDLY PACKAGING: Our CRUELTY FREE...
- New look, same great formula; packaging may vary
- Nourishes and moisturizes
- Swipe on for a hint of lush color that's buildable
- EWG Certified plus Dermatologist and Physician...
- Vegan plus Cruelty free
- 4 Naturally Soothing Flavors – Peppermint,...
- 100% Certified Beeswax and Natural Ingredients -...
- Proprietary Formulation - Gentle on...
- Cruelty-Free and Environmentally-Friendly...
- Best Year-Round Lip Protection for the Whole...
- PERFECT FOR TRAVEL - Conveniently sized for your...
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC - the strict oversight of...
- 100% NATURAL - Formulated with natural ingredients...
- CLIGANIC 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - RISK FREE!...
- PREMIUM BRAND, MADE IN THE USA – Cliganic...
- USDA ORGANIC & FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS ONLY: Dr....
- ONLY THE PUREST ESSENTIAL OILS & INGREDIENTS: Dr....
- OUR LIP BALM IS CRUELTY-FREE & NEVER TESTED ON...
- DR. BRONNER’S ORGANIC LIP BALM IS VERSATILE: Our...
- CERTIFIED UNDER THE NATIONAL ORGANIC PROGRAM: Our...
- 🌼 10PK FLOWER POWER | Bundle pack of all 10...
- 🌼 100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Making a natural...
- 🌼 MADE BY HAND - It takes a little extra care...
- 🌼 DOUBLE THE BALM - Our cardboard lip balm...
- From the heart of the Pacific Northwest comes a...
- Our small company crafts an all natural beeswax...
- With a focus on creating a simple and pure...
- Portland Bee Balm Unscented Balm, made with just...
- We are proud to be a One Percent for the Planet...
- Moisturizing LIP care: Renew your lips with more...
- Total hydration: Smooth and nourish dry lips with...
- Ultra conditioning: Just 1 swipe of this...
- All natural: Enriched with 100% natural...
- Burts Bees lip balm: Burt's Bees knows how to...
- Lip CARE: Bursting with all natural flavors,...
- Total hydration: Hydrate and smooth dry lips with...
- Moisturizing: Just one swipe of this conditioning...
- All natural: enriched with 100% natural origin...
- Burt's Bees Lip balm 4 pack: Whether you're...
13 Natural Lip Balms & Moisturizers: The Very Best You Must Try 2022
The skin on your lips is structurally different than the skin on the rest of your body. The topmost protective layer, called the stratum corneum, is much thinner on the lips. The lips also have little to no oil-producing glands, and are prone to dryness and cracking. That’s why lips can use a boost from a moisturizing, nourishing balm to protect from chapping and peeling.
Instead of grabbing a lip balm made with conventional ingredients that can leave your lips drier, irritate the thin skin around your lips and potentially affect your hormones and cause other health issues, reach for an all-natural or organic lip balm that doesn’t contain harmful or toxic ingredients and is full of fatty acids to hydrate, soothe and nourish your lips.
REASONS FOR DRY LIPS
- Licking your lips- saliva evaporates and dries out lips and irritates lip skin
- Airplane travel- air on planes is dehydrating (low humidity, high altitude)
- Lipstick- ingredients can dry out lips and highlight lip creases
- Toothpaste- tartar control versions can irritate lips
- Lip balms with fragrance can irritate and dry out lips
- Hot showers- wash away protective oils
- UV rays- protect delicate lip skin from the sun with a lip balm containing a mineral sunscreen
- Mouthbreathing- causes lip dehydration
- Indoor heat- sucks moisture out of the air and contributes to dry skin
- Medication- dry mouth can be a side effect of certain drugs, which can cause dry lips too
- Climate- dry air and high altitude can dry out your lips
AVOID THESE INGREDIENTS IN LIP BALM
- BHA and BHT- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHA) and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHT) are preservatives derived from petroleum and found in some lip balm. BHA is an endocrine disruptor and a possible carcinogen (1). BHT is a respiratory irritant and is considered toxic or harmful to human organ systems (2).
- Chemical Sunscreen–Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, avobenzone, and Octisalate all fall into this category. These chemicals can mimic estrogen and disrupt hormone function (3).
- Menthol, camphor, and phenol– The tingly sensation can trick you into thinking there’s some serious healing going on, which is not actually the case. These ingredients can be drying and irritating to the lips. What at first seems refreshing can have the opposite effect in the long run.
- Parabens- Parabens are a type of preservative used to prevent the growth of bacteria and prolong the shelf life of lip balm, deodorant, lotion, and other beauty products. The most commonly used parabens are methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, and butylparaben. Parabens disrupt hormone function and are linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive toxicity. A 2004 study found high concentrations of parabens in breast tumor samples (4). The European Union banned the use of parabens in cosmetics in 2012.
The Best All-Natural & Organic Lip Balms For Dry Lips 2021
- Petroleum Jelly & Mineral Oil– You might find this listed as petrolatum, mineral oil, liquid paraffin, or paraffin oil on the ingredient list. Petrolatum is a byproduct of oil refining and was originally discovered in the 1800s building up in the machinery of an oil rig. Petroleum jelly is highly susceptible to contamination of Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Once PAHs enter the body, they are stored in the kidneys, liver, and fat cells. There are more than 100 types of PAHs, and about 15 are thought to be carcinogenic (cancer-causing). Petroleum jelly also contains xenoestrogens, which interact with hormone receptors and may increase estrogen-related health issues in the body (5).
- Synthetic dyes– Avoid dyes labeled FD&C Blue 1, Yellow 5, and Red 33, which can be found in conventional lip balm, may be contaminated with known carcinogens (6).
- Synthetic fragrance- Beauty products can list fragrance as one ingredient and don’t have to disclose the fact that these formulations may contain hundreds of ingredients. friends Synthetic Fragrances may contain carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, allergens, respiratory irritants, and neurotoxic chemicals (7). best Synthetic musks like galactoside and tonalite, are linked to hormone disruption (8). Fragrance formulations also contain phthalates, which are hormone disruptors
HOW TO CHOOSE A NATURAL OR ORGANIC LIP BALM
There are a few ways to look for a product that’s safe and non-toxic. Put your lip balm brand in the search box of EWG’s Skin Deep Database. If the brand you are searching for is not in the database, search the ingredients individually. Oddly enough, only one of the lip balms I tested was in the EWG database, so I didn’t include the rankings below. However, I included ingredients for every lip balm tested at the end of this post.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN NATURAL & ORGANIC LIP BALM
- Hard wax (locks in moisture): Beeswax, candelilla wax, carnauba wax or soy wax
- Room temperature solid oil (for creamy texture and moisture): coconut oil, avocado oil, cocoa butter, shea butter or mango butter
- Room temperature liquid oil (repairs, moisturizes, and contains anti-aging, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits)- olive oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil or sweet almond oil
- Natural flavors and scents- essential oils for both flavor and scent (peppermint, orange), antioxidants like vitamin E
HOW I TESTED
I wore each lip balm brand (16 kinds) for at least a week, and rated each on the following categories:
- Ease of application- Did the lip balm go on smoothly and effortlessly?
- Is there any bitter after-taste?
- Hydration- Did my lips feel smooth and hydrated an hour after application?
- How well did the product stay in place? I found that a really slippery product would come right off, so I took that into consideration when ranking.
- Overall Score: Is this a product I will keep using and buy again?
- I did not get any compensation or free samples from any of the lip balms reviewed. All lip balms were paid for with my own money.
LIP BALMS TESTED AND RANKED
Osmia Organics Lip Doctor Lip Balm
- Rating: A
- My take: The company that makes this lip balm is based in Carbondale, Colorado, so these ladies know all about dry, chapped lips. This is an excellent lip balm for hydrating and healing, and it’s one of my top picks. It’s a little on the expensive side, but it’s a big tube and lasts a while.
- From the Osmia website: Lip Doctor is made with no essential oils, as even those can be irritating to sensitive lips. It has only six ingredients, including organic olive oil infused with Colorado-grown, organic lavender. Organic cocoa butter and beeswax give it staying power, while organic avocado and argan oils penetrate deeply to help lips stay in healthy, smiling condition.
Primally Pure Grapefruit Lip Balm
- Rating: A
- My take: I loved everything about this lip balm. It went on smoothly and stayed put for hours. It was totally hydrating and I loved how soft my lips were. I felt like my lip creases were less noticeable. If you are vegan or vegetarian, this lip balm is not for you.
- From the Primally Pure website: Our natural lip balm is available in 5 delicious scents – all of which contain only a few nourishing ingredients that will give your lips a smooth and healthy feeling that lasts. Ingredients like tallow from grass-fed cows, coconut oil, and shea butter deeply moisturize and heal chapped lips. Organic essential oils provide added benefits + flavors for your lips to enjoy.
eos Sweet Mint Stick Organic Lip Balm
- Rating: A
- My take: This lip balm went on super smoothly every time, and the sweet mint flavor is irresistible. I got super hydration from this lip balm, and the price fits my budget. Some reviews mentioned that they needed to reapply this product very often, but I found that I didn’t need to reapply any more often than any of the other lip balms I tested. Definitely a keeper!
- From the eos website: Treat your lips to an all-natural balm that’s bursting with flavor and moisture. eos Organic Sweet Mint Lip Balm will swipe you into a dreamy daze with notes of just-picked, smooth, mellow mint. Hydrates soothe and enhance lips. Certified organic, 100% all-natural, hypoallergenic, and dermatologist tested.
19 ORGANIC LIP BALMS YOUR LIPS WILL THANK YOU FOR 2021
All Good Certified Organic Coconut Lip Balm
- Rating: A
- My take: This lip balm was another one of my favorites. It went on effortlessly and kept my lips well hydrated without being too slippery.
- From the All Good website: With just 8 ingredients, this USDA Certified Original lip balm moisturizes with a blend of organic Coconut Flavor.
Badger Certified Organic Lip Balm
- Rating: A-
- My take: This went on smoothly and hydrated my lips well.
- From the Badger website: Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, & Aloe moisturize and protect lips. Flavored with organic extracts of Vanilla. No petroleum, artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Leaping Bunny Certified cruelty-free. Try it. Use it. Never lose it! USDA Certified Organic lip balm from Badger. Our Classic Lip Balm sticks contain Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Beeswax, as well as Organic Aloe, Seabuckthorn, and Rosehip extracts. These ingredients moisturize and protect, making these lip balms excellent for facing the elements. They have a light texture and come in unique flavors made from the real stuff – steam-distilled essential oils, no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Badger Organic Lip Balms are smooth and glossy – and they contain a bounty of antioxidants. They moisturize your lips and make them feel great!
Bodyceuticals Organic Calendula and Raspberry Lip Balm
- Rating: A-
- My take: This lip balm goes on smoothly and hydrates well. The raspberry flavor was a little on the sweet side (sweetened with stevia).
- From the Bodyceuticals website: Fresh, antioxidant-rich, USDA Certified Organic formula for incredibly soft, healthy lips! This yummy lip treat goes on smooth and has a hint of raspberry flavor! A fun a fruity flavor everyone will love! You may pay a bit more for this small-batch balm than other mass-market sticks, but for those that want results fast, you will find it is worth its price. Leaves lip feeling soft & healthy, not waxy. Specially made for extremely sensitive, chapped lips Suitable for all ages – “kid-friendly” Vegetarian, food-grade formula For all-year, all-weather lip care.
Hurraw Unscented Lip Balm
- Rating: A-
- My take: This lip balm goes on smoothly, but was slightly slippery. I find that when a lip balm is too slippery, it wears off more quickly.
- From the Hurraw website: Made with organic, VEGAN, and raw ingredients. Our unscented balm is nut-oil free and mild; it contains no added flavor. The unscented balm contains cold-pressed meadowfoam seed oil; a superstar moisturizer loaded with vitamin e; use it on your lips, your cuticles.
Eco Lips Lip Food Rosemary Mint Organic Lip Balm 2021
- Rating: A-
- My take: I wasn’t a huge fan of the rosemary flavor, but luckily it was mild. This lip balm wet on smoothly and hydrated my lips well.
- From the Eco Lips website: Rosemary Mint with Chamomile Mushroom Extract Lip Food invigorates and moisturizes for a smooth, full look. Globally sourced & minimally processed plant-based ingredients in our Lip Food balm provide the ultimate lip soothing and moisturizing experience. Organic golden jojoba oil combined with organic, Fair Trade Certified™ cocoa butter and coconut oil provide the perfect base, while chamomile mushroom extract provides nutritive benefits to naturally plump and moisturize the lips and soothes damage done from the elements. Globally sourced & minimally processed, plant-based ingredients, provides the ultimate lip soothing and moisturizing experience with invigorating rosemary mint flavor.
Alba Botanica Hawaiian Lip Balm
- Rating: A-
- My take: Went on smoothly and hydrated well. The flavor was just a little too strong for me.
- From the Alba Botanica website: This highly moisturizing and deliciously fruity lip balm treats your lips to a refreshing island treat any time of day. Spearmint, lime, and coconut oils, combined with aloe vera and Vitamin E, cool, refresh, and moisturize lips. Always 100% vegetarian. The cool minty scent, soothing & hydrating. Features botanically-based emollients Certified USDA Organic by Oregon Tilth.
Dr. Bronner’s Organic Peppermint Lip Balm
- Rating: B+
- My take: This lip balm is super pepperminty, maybe a little bit too much. It gave my lips a slight tingly feel. It went on smoothly but was also on the slippery side. I like that all of the ingredients are organic.
- From Dr. Bronner’s website: COOL with Peppermint scent organic lip balm. Dr. Bronner’s Organic Lip Balms made with organic beeswax, provide a protective barrier to the elements with no synthetic ingredients! None! Organic jojoba, avocado, and hemp oils help with extra moisturization. Only the finest essential oils are used for fragrance. Certified organic to USDA National Organic Program standards, because what you put on your lips goes into your body.
Moroccan Magic Coconut Almond Lip Balm 2021
- Rating: B+
- My take: This lip balm went on smoothly, but was on the slippery side so it wore off quickly. It also had a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- From the Moroccan Magic website: Whether you’re on a tropical vacation or sitting on your front lawn, let your hair down knowing it won’t stick to your lips. Our Coconut Almond lip balm provides a layer thin enough to protect lips while letting you escape to your very own paradise. Tip: Use our Coconut Almond balm for an extra blast of nourishing coconut oil in the colder months. FYI- this lip balm contains tree nuts.
Alaffia Ethically Traded Vegan Coconut Lip Balm
- Rating: B+
- My take: I love that a percentage of proceeds go to a good cause (maternal care, education, and eyeglasses in Africa). It went on smoothly and hydrated well, but I would have liked to see some organic ingredients.
- From the Alaffia website: With just 5 ingredients, this vegan lip balm moisturizes with Ethically Traded virgin coconut oil and spearmint essential oil.
Burt’s Bees Moisturizing Lip Balm (Vanilla Bean)
- Rating: B+
- My take: Went on smoothly and hydrated well. I would have loved it if some of the ingredients were organic.
- From the Burt’s Bees website: A luxuriously complex and comforting lip balm bursting with all-natural vanilla. Couple that with moisturizing Shea Butter and soothing Vitamin E, and you’ve got a true treat for happy lips.
100% Pure Organic Mint Lip Balm
- Rating: B+
- My take: Glides on smoothly and hydrates well. The taste was a little medicinal.
- From the 100% Pure website: Soothing lip balm made with refreshing peppermint and eucalyptus oils. Featuring sunflower and coconut oils to moisturize and soften, plus reparative vitamin E.
Beauty By Earth Organic Lip Balm 2021
- Rating: B
- My take: This lip balm did not go on as smoothly as any of the others I tried. However, once applied it hydrated well.
- From the Beauty by Earth website: There are two paths to the soft, healthy lips you’re looking for. One filled with chemicals, petroleum, soy, and cheap fillers. The other crafted of the finest natural moisturizing ingredients. We know which path you’d rather take, that’s why we created the best Natural Unflavored Lip Balm money can buy.
Burt’s Bees Ultra Conditioning Lip Balm
- Rating: C+
- My take: This lip balm had a bitter aftertaste. It went on smoothly, but it was so slippery that it wore off quickly.
- From the Burt’s Bees website: Kiss dry lips goodbye. Infused with nature’s finest ingredients like Kokum Butter, Shea Butters, and antioxidant-rich Marula Oil to replenish skin, this balm packed with butters and oils will melt on your lips. Giving you more butter and less wax than other balms, so your lips will be left soft and super smooth. It’s hydration at its very highest, with no added flavors or fragrances.
SHOP MY FAVORITES FOR DRY LIPS
Inspiration For Natural Living & Organic Gardening
Osmia Organics Lip Doctor Lip Balm
Primally Pure Grapefruit Lip Balm
Kari Gran Lip Whip Perfector- Buff and Mask
LIP BALM TIPS
- Be consistent with your lip balm application. Store a few tubes of organic lip balm in your bathroom, on your bedside table, in your purse, and in your car. Apply lip balm after you brush your teeth and whenever your lips feel dry. Continue to apply throughout the day until lips feel smooth and soft.
- Stay Hydrated! Drinking lots of water will keep your lips from getting dry and help prevent cracking.
- Exfoliate your lips. Exfoliating the lips with a gentle exfoliant (like sugar) will help to remove any peeling skin and acts as a humectant, attracting moisture to your lips. Kari Gran Lip Whip Perfector- Buff and Mask is up to the task.
- Apply balm before tint. If you apply lip tint or lipstick, moisturize your lips before adding lipstick to give you smooth, even coverage. The last thing you want is for your lipstick to settle into the cracks in your lips, making them look more dry and scaly.
What is the best natural lip balm?
And while your lips are living in luxury, treat the rest of your face with these organic eye creams and face masks!
Meow Meow Tweet Vegan Lip Balm. …
Juice Beauty SPF 8 Lip Moisturizers. …
Kari Gran Lip Whip. …
All Good Organic Lip Balm. …
Kaike Lip Frosting. …
Henné Organics Luxury Lip Balm. …
Burt’s Bees Cucumber Mint Lip Balm
How do you make a natural lip balm?
- Melt the beeswax, cocoa, and shea butter in a double boiler.
- Add the hemp oil, almond oil, and honey, and stir until it turns into a liquid consistency.
- Add honey to this mixture.
- Blend the ingredients using a milk frother.
- Once it reaches medium-thick consistency, pour the balm into jars to set.
What natural ingredients are good for your lips?
5 easy-to-make lip balms using natural ingredients from your…
- Pomegranate lip balm. Ingredients: ¼ cup of pomegranate seeds, 1 tsp coconut oil. …
- Beetroot lip balm. Ingredients: ½ cup of grated beetroot, 1 tsp ghee. …
- Cinnamon lip balm. Ingredients: 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil and 1 tsp cocoa butter. …
- Strawberry lip balm
Which lip balm is safe?
Our Top Pick: Beautycounter Lip Conditioner in Calendula has been EWG verified, meaning it is recognized as having the highest level of safety in their ingredients. This balm comes in a little tub that lasts & lasts.